Subject: Re: New to netBSD-VAX
To: Chris Craft <ccraft@cncc.cc.co.us>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/13/1997 18:51:51
	If you have trouble getting a SCSI controller (I know I have in
	the UK) if you can lay your hands on any old ST506 (MFM) drives,
	even a 20MB drive from an old PC you should be able to format it
	up and get a miniroot installed. 20Mb wont get you much more than
	a system that boots and is ready to copy down files from the
	network/serial/tape, but it should at least give you a feel of
	the setup. Now four 20Mb drives would be usable, though you may
	have to accept a rather flexible meaning to the word 'usable' :)

	I've recently managed to pick up a copy of the dec diag tape
	which allows you to low level format arbitrary MFM drives on
	a uVax, and will be happy to send anyone a copy if I can coax
	my SCSI controller back to life & work out how to copy the tape!

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
Satisfied User: NetBSD, free Un*x {i386,sparc,mac68k,+more} 'www.netbsd.org'.
  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet mono.org'.