Subject: Adding 3rd disk controller
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin McQuiggin <mcquiggi@sfu.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/08/1997 22:15:07
Hi All:

I've come into some hardware lately, and am adding some disk space to my
Microvax II.

The new drives are Fujitsu SMD types, controller is Emulex QD32. Connected
and formatted a SMD drive using the QD32 firmware successfully.

Modified the kernel, adding uda2, gave the correct CSR vector. uda0 is an
RQDX3, uda1 is a QD21.

Ran MAKEDEV to create ra9-ra12 in the /dev directory.

Built new kernel, installed it in root.

Booted new kernel, it probes uda2 successfully, IDs drive.

At end of probing stage when "Changing root device to ra0a" normally
appears, I get kicked to db with "Trap type 2 code 0 PC=... PSL 8" and a reg
dump.

Here's what I've done (that seemed relevant):

I removed the QD32 controller and put grant continuity card back into it's
slot, same slot as before QD32 arrived.

Booted new kernel, of course uda2 NOT found, but I still get kicked to db
with same message as above.

I've checked the FAQ, nothing apparently relevant there. Reverting to old
kernel causes machine to run normally. New kernel is smaller than original
kernel despite additional device included in config file.

Any suggestions?

Kevin

---
Kevin McQuiggin VE7ZD