Subject: Sysadm questions
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: A. Sporner <asporner@eagle.ibc.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/02/1997 22:40:00
Hello,

I finally pulled the MVIII back out of mothballs from the summer.  After
fixing a few issues I had then.  I am content that I have a reasonable system.
I have two issues that might be very simple to ask.  I am familiar with
System/V very well, though I am weak on Berkeley.

First, somehow /etc/spwd.db has gotten trashed and I get some messages on
the console about invalid format.  How can I build this?  Second (maybe
related).  I cannot set the password for root because it claims the user
id does not exist, (even though I see it in /etc/passwd).

Finally,  I have my console set of 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.  When I
come into multi-user mode I have to toggle it to 7 bits, even parity and
then back again when the password prompt (no doubt when /bin/login takes
over the line).  I think I know this answer lies in the /etc/gettydefs file.
I guess I just need some confirmation on this.

One last one... I will be getting an Exabyte 8500 and a off-brand SCSI
controller (though there is a ROM with a DEC license code on it).  Is it
true that most Q-BUS controllers will work with NetBSD? (presuming that
they understand MSCP)  I will also be moving from my current RDQX controller
with a RD53 Boot to the SCSI controller with a pair of Seagate ST4767 drives
(600 Meg each) and a Wren IV for good measure.

Thanks very much.  I look forward to be able to contribute more when this
becomes operational.  I have slated (if not doned already) to work on compiling
X11R6 libraries so that I can connect to my Vaxstation (running VMS) and use
some of the cool TK stuff I have on my other machines.

best regards

Andy Sporner