Subject: Re: VAXstation 2000
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/22/1996 17:16:02
On Thu, 19 Dec 1996, Kevin P. Neal wrote:

> I've got a stack (oh, like 4-5) of VR262s in various states of disrepair.
> I'd like to get them running. Mostly they have dark pictures, but some
> have black lines running through the picture.

I don't know about the black lines, but all of the three VR262s I've
repaired had lost their picture for the same reason: a poorly soldered
connection for a tunable inductance on the high voltage board.  It's
in the center of the board, and the board is mounted upright on one
side of the tube, if my memory serves.  Anyway, it's not hard to find.
(I'm guessing that they used wave soldering, and the "legs" on that
particular part are rather thick, resulting in a cold solder joint.)

Other than that, there's various adjusting you can do.  Mostly, the
trim pots are well marked.  Be careful -- use a plastic screwdriver to
adjust the pots!

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"