Subject: RE: low level formatting RD53 and RD54...?
To: 'Dave McGuire' <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Christian Johansson <cjn@isd.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/15/1996 20:29:44
----------
From: 	Dave McGuire[SMTP:mcguire@neurotica.com]
Sent: 	 den 14 december 1996 12:48
To: 	Kevin McQuiggin
Cc: 	Christian Johansson; port-vax@NetBSD.ORG
Subject: 	Re: low level formatting RD53 and RD54...?

On December 13, you wrote:
> I have a sick RD53 and would also be interested in getting it
> reformatted. If you get any positive replies please let me know. I
> too have phoned DEC, and they say that short of placing a service
> call for my Microvax II they can do nothing for me.

  I think your best bet would be to pick up a MicroVAX2000 or a
VAXstation2000 and use its ROM-based formatting utilities.  I've been
seeing them in the US$50 range for some time now; not too expensive to
be used as a formatting engine until NetBSD fully supports them...

  I have been told, however, that while the format is
RQDX3-compatible, the interleave is different.  I'm not sure if that'd
be a performance penalty in this case or not.  Anyone care to comment?

Thats good news, I have a some VAXstation2000 (and some uVAX2000) here, =
but I don't have any manuals for them. So could you please tell me how =
to format my disks with one of them...
 I don't have to boot them, do I?

/Christian