Subject: Re: TK50 in uVAX2000 (hardware question)
To: Marc Malagelada Duch <marc@hades.udg.es>
From: Thomas S. Traylor <ttraylor@titan.cs.mci.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/09/1996 08:21:30
On Mon, 9 Dec 1996, Marc Malagelada Duch wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Some time ago we talked about the TK50 in the uVAX2000 and VAXstations2000.
> Somebody said that it was a SCSI device.
>
> I have one problem:
> I have a 3500 with a TK70 but no TK70 NetBSD tape to boot it.
> As ethernet in the 3500 is unsupported, the tape is the only way to boot it.

I have a VAXServer 3500 running NetBSD and the ethernet (DELQA) is
supported.

> My question:
> Would it be possible to set-up the uVAX2000's TK50 in a PC with an Adaptec
> AHA1520 SCSI adapter to write down the NetBSD 1.1 boot image on the tape
> to boot the VAX3500 through the TK70?

You should be able to connect the TK50 to the Adaptec. (It should
work) You'll need to use a CompacTape (TK50 formatted). The TK50 will
not write to a CompacTape II (TK70 formatted).  The TK70 will read a
TK50 tape but will not be able to write to it.  So if you get the boot
stuff on the TK50, you will be able to use the TK70 to boot the
VAX3500.

Tom

--
Thomas Traylor