Subject: Re: Problems booting Miniroot
To: Andrew Gregg <AW.Gregg@ulst.ac.uk>
From: Jonathan Sturges <jonathan@cc.odu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/03/1996 10:26:27
On Tue, 3 Dec 1996, Andrew Gregg wrote:
> I created Boot tapes for NetBSD 1.2 as per the FAQ and the edlabel
> and copy 'seemed' to go ok. I only partitioned dua0: as I plan to
> partition dua1: later.
>
> However when I try to boot the miniroot off the swap partition (as
> suggested on the FAQ) all is ok until I enter the root device as
> 'ra0*' then the following message...
>
> WARNING: Clock has lost time - CHECK AND RESET THE DATE.
> Preserved 3687 blovks of miniroot leaving 46313 pages of swap
> Segv in kernel mode: rv 1
> Trap: type c, code 0, pc 800158b3, psl 4150004
> {some register values are displayed}
> panic: trap: adr 0
> Stopped at    0x80091b08:    bbs    $6, 60(r6), 0x80091b10
> db>
>
> Can anyone provide suggestions/help on this?

Hiya Andrew,
unfortunately, a lot of people are experiencing this with the uVax IIs.
And to make matters worse, the port maintainer (Ragge) has been unable to
reproduce this problem on his equipment.
What most people have been doing, I believe, is to install NetBSD 1.1,
and then 'sup' and build a 1.2 system.  Yes, it's ugly to do it that way,
but as far as I'm aware, it's the only route at this time.  Of course,
you could just run 1.1A... I'm still running it, and it's very stable.

You may want to double-check what I've told you with someone else;  I've
been real busy of late, and haven't kept up with all that has transpired
over the last 6 to 8 weeks or so.

good luck,
Jonathan