Subject: Re: Problems with tk50 image dated Jun 30
To: Thomas S. Traylor <ttraylor@titan.cs.mci.com>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/15/1996 17:30:57
On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Thomas S. Traylor wrote:

> I just aquired a VAXServer 3500 and I'm trying to install NetBSD on it
> using the June 30 TK50 1.2beta images. Here are the troubles I'm having.
>
> 1. After copying minroot to the swap partition I tell it to boot
> gennetbsd. It cannot find gennetbsd.  Where is it?  Is it missing from the
> image that I'm using? (See attached)
>
> 	Nboot
> 	: ra(0,1)gennetbsd
> 	No such file or directory
>

> 2. If I tell it to boot netbsd instead and then tell it to use ra0* as the
> root device it panics. (See attached)
>
> I've installed NetBSD on several MVIIs (ka630), so I'm certain that I have
> the steps down.  Any suggestions? Ideas?

I never saw an answer to this question, did I miss anything? The reason
I'm asking is that I'm trying to update the FAQ to version 1.2 of NetBSD.

I tried installing (from scratch) using the Oct-23 files in
NetBSD-1.2/vax/install/tk50 :

-r--r--r--   1 root     ftp       262144 okt 23 18:42 tk50-file1-12
-r--r--r--   1 root     ftp      2097152 okt 23 18:42 tk50-file2-12

and get _exactly_ the same problems as Thomas. I see from his screendump
that the Oct-23 1.2 files include the same 1.2_Alpha kernel as the
June-30 files does. Could this be caused by a bug in the kernel?

My hardware is a uVAX II with 9 MB RAM which has been running NetBSD/VAX
1.1 fine (except from the occasional "page not in pmap" crash) up until
today.

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2