Subject: Re: Help please for mvII
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Threlfall-Rogers <SteveTR@truffnet.demon.co.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/20/1996 19:32:43
Firstly, Thanks to all have replied - List / email ;^D

Unfortunately I got a few things wrong in my original posting :( and
also I think my description misled some, so I will reiterate / expand /
ignore side issues / eventual aims.

1) I have a mvII

2) It worked when I got it - I could logon, do all sorts !

3) I took it apart and removed cards in slots 4-7, examined them, and
put them back

4) When restarting the Self Test failed in '6..' with
        ?3
        Failure

        Unable to start normal operation
        (the text for the last bit may be *slightly wrong)

5) Does anyone know what '?3   Failure' is ?

6) The card layout is (( not same as prevously stated )) ..

    1,2,3      Processor / Memory
    4(top)     DEQNA
    4(bottom)  <empty>
    5(top)     TK50 driver
    5(bottom)  Emulex Serial driver connected to 16xDB9
    6(top)     Emulex Serial driver connected to 8xDB25
    6(bottom)  Emulex QTA (scsi? - just has ribbon cable going nowhere)
    7(top)     Emulex QD(?) Disk Driver connected to two discs
    7(bottom)  Emulex QD(?) Disk Driver connected to one disc (boot dev)

Slots 1..4 are marked Q/CD
Slots 5... are marked Q/Q

I have reseated the cards agin - same problem.
Once the system actually got as far as loding VMS, but the kernel
trapped out !

If anyone can tell me what Failure 3 is (or slot 3 failure ??) then
please help me ! (what is the emoticon for someone on their knees
begging?)

Thanking in appreciation
SteveTR

usenet / email answers greatly appreciated - if email please cc: to my
work address if possible as that's where the mvII is currently residing
- lunchtime job ;^D