Subject: Re: VS2000 NetBSD port
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/16/1996 18:24:58
>   Yup!  Their chief limitation (in my opinion) is the fact that you
> can't put much disk in them.  For limited applications, 12mb of RAM in
> a VAX is ok (especially considering the 1 MIPS CPU in the VS2000) but
> the tiny disk is a problem.

As it has been said before by Ken, any VS2000 even without the expansion
box has a SCSI-interface which can be used for disks, even if DEC didn't
use this interface for anything else but the SCSI-variant of the TK50.
I've checked this by connecting by connecting two disks (500MB and 2GB)
to a VS2000 and they worked! Thus the disksize should not be the problem.

One of the major problems with the support for VS2000 and the different
models of VS3100 is that these machines are quite different to the yet
supported VAXen, which yields in some changes to the main source tree.
Thus these changes won't go into the main source tree until sometime after
the 1.2 release of NetBSD.

Ciao,
	bertram

PS: If this has not been stated before: support for VS2000 is more or
    less there, there are still some parts incomplete/unfinished, but
    the heart of it is already beating. Since support for 3100 will be
    derived from that, same/smiliar holds for some of the models of 3100.