Subject: Re: VS2000 NetBSD port
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@interpath.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/16/1996 00:09:23
At 09:10 PM 6/15/96 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>On June 16, you wrote:
>> >   It'd also be nice to pick up a VS2000 at a hamfest for fifty bucks
>> > and turn it into a light-duty, lunchbox-sized web server with NetBSD.
>> They're so small... I could stack 5 of them under my desk :)
>
>  Yup!  Their chief limitation (in my opinion) is the fact that you
>can't put much disk in them.  For limited applications, 12mb of RAM in
>a VAX is ok (especially considering the 1 MIPS CPU in the VS2000) but
>the tiny disk is a problem.

Imagine root on nfs, swap on sd0b? I imagine 70mb of swap should be
sufficient for a 1 MIPS machine.

I personally have 3 MicroVAX-II machines sitting here in pieces because I
don't see much point in messing with machines I don't have drives for.

Now, if I could net-boot these things, perhaps I could get this 8-bit color
graphics card working....

Then again, David Case's 3100's for $75 sounds pretty good.....

Hmmmmm.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Sophomore, Comp. Sci. \    kpneal@interpath.com
XCOMM    The Mirrorball Wizard of Smerp     \   kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu