Subject: Re: VS2000 NetBSD port
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
From: Ken Wellsch <kcwellsc@math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/15/1996 22:27:44
>   Yup!  Their chief limitation (in my opinion) is the fact that you
> can't put much disk in them.  For limited applications, 12mb of RAM in
> a VAX is ok (especially considering the 1 MIPS CPU in the VS2000) but
> the tiny disk is a problem.

Well, actually, the "tape interface" is SCSI so disk is not a problem
(just because DEC didn't use the interface for disk doesn't mean we can't)

I have about two dozen vs2000's stashed away, half of the newer variety
(with switchable thick/thin) all with a whopping 6Mb.  Alas there is
no large dumpster load of custom 12Mb upgrade boards for many of us.

A VAX 11/780 is often thought of as 1 MIPS, alas not.  A uVAX-II CPU
itself is already less than a 780 speed-wise.  On a good day I can get
nearly 2000 dhrystones per second on a uVAX-II -- while looking at an
old performance list I note even a lowly 386/16 is in the Sun 3/50 range
at 3000 d/s.

This is not to say I don't love my uVAXen - I actually collect PDP-11s
if that gives some idea of the sort of performance I often play with 8-)

The vs2000 is a win because of the size & packaging as mentioned and for
that terrific built-in SCSI interface that I hope soon is properly revealed
in the NetBSD port.