Subject: SUMMARY: write error: ....
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael J. Way <mway@newton.umsl.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/27/1996 18:58:15
Hi All,
	Here is the summary to my recent post about getting
a write error with newfs.

Seems my parition sizes were slightly too large. Even using the original
Maxtor disk manuals before me for the ESDI disks XT4380E and XT8760E
I couldn't seem to get the right number of total blocks. I got a couple
of excellent suggestions, but one in particular that worked great. Lets assume
as in my e-mail that my ESDI partition /dev/rra4f was larger than
the physical amount of disk left(since it was my last partition). I can
use dd to find out the exact number of bytes on that partition that are
usable with this command,

# dd if=/dev/rra4f of=/dev/null bs=10k

This will output the exact number of bytes left on the disk. You can then
this newfs worked fine! Just for the record here is some of my labeling of
the 2 disks which currently works quite well! I only include the c partition
since that is all you should need to know for partitioning purposes. Please
note that the numbers for sectors, tracks, etc are what I pulled from
the Maxtor manuals I have! I found some different numbers online at
http://www.mm.mtu.edu/drives/maxtor/esdi/xt-8760e.txt
http://www.mm.mtu.edu/drives/maxtor/esdi/xt-4380e.txt
I don't know which numbers are truly correct, but what I have below
DOES work for me currently.

>From edlabeling of disks:

Numeric disk type? 5
Disk Name? xt4380e
interleave? 1
rpm? 3600
bytes/sector? 512
sectors/track? 36
tracks/cylinder? 15
sectors/cylinder? 540
cylinders? 1224
c partition offset? 0                   (whole disk)
c partition size? 622676
-------------------------------------

Numeric disk type? 5
Disk Name? xt8760e
interleave? 1
rpm? 3600
bytes/sector? 512
sectors/track? 54
tracks/cylinder? 15
sectors/cylinder? 810
cylinders? 1632
c partition offset? 0                   (whole disk)
c partition size? 1270568

Thanks goes to David Brownlee, Lloyd Parkes, Carl Lowenstein and Erik Manders
amongst others for help in this AND the tms(0,0,0) *discovery* by
Alan Byer which solved my miniroot copy problem from before.
Thanks a million guys. Great job!

	Cheers,
	mike
--
 Michael J. Way                     Department of Physics and Astronomy
 mway@newton.umsl.edu               University of Missouri-St.Louis