Subject: write error: ....
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael J. Way <mway@newton.umsl.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/25/1996 18:38:47
Hi All,
	Well I am having a small problem with newfs. I have my
netbsd system all up and running on both RD53 & ESDI controllers and I want
to add the second disk attached to the ESDI. edlabel works fine
and I have checked the partition table to make sure it is intact for
this disk (an XT-8760E 760Mb). In fact I haven't partitioned beyond
labeling the c partition (1284000 blocks).
I just want to use the c partition i.e. the whole disk. So, here is what
I get when I try newfs on this disk,
# newfs /dev/rra5c
write error: 1283999
wtfs: Invalid arguement

Does this mean that partition sizes are limited in size? I must also mention
this, I had the same kind of error with my XT4380E disk (380Mb) where I
have the NetBSD OS running from. I had a partition with a size of 482000
and here is what I got with newfs,
# newfs /dev/rra4f
write error: 481999
wfts: Invalid arguement

So, thinking that partition sizes were limited I went ahead and lowered the
size to 200000 Blocks and created another with the left-overs.
Then newfs worked on the smaller partition. BUT, not on the larger left-over,
which is 282000 blocks in the partition table,
# newfs /dev/rra4g
write error 281999
wtfs: Invalid arguement

Please tell me this is something trivial I just didn't pick up in one of the
FAQs....
	thanks to anyone who has any idea of what is going on here.
	-mike
--
 Michael J. Way                     Department of Physics and Astronomy
 mway@newton.umsl.edu               University of Missouri-St.Louis