Subject: Re: SOLVED: RD53 Disk/Controller Problem....
To: Robert Byer <byer@mail.all-net.net>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/25/1996 04:28:14
On Thu, 23 May 1996, Robert Byer wrote:

> The problem is in the 'copy' program, more specific (I think) the part
> that reads the file from tape.

No, it's not a problem, it's perfectly logical. Read on...

> If you generated your tapes from a VMS system, when prompted for
> "device to read from?" enter "tms(0,0,0)" and not "tms(0,0,1)" as shown
> in the program text.

If you copied the tapes on a VMS system per the instructions in the FAQ
you used _two_ tapes, right? This means that the miniroot image is in the
_first_ file on the second tape, not the second file on the first tape.

tms(0,0,0)    means first file (file zero) on the tape
tms(0,0,1)    means second file (file 1) on the tape

If you used only one tape then the miniroot is in the second file (file
1). If you used two tapes the miniroot is in the first file (file zero) on
the second tape. This is not a bug, it's just common sense.

> I don't know if anyone has documented this yet, but I think that it should
> make it into the "copy" documentation if it is not already.  (I didn't see
> it in their, but that dosen't mean it's not their)

It's in the FAQ and has been for some time.

As always, the FAQ can be found at:

http://www.bitcon.no/~gunnar/vaxbsd/FAQ.html

The relevant information concerning this "problem" can be found in
sections 3.4 and 3.10.

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar XJ6 4.2 Sovereign