Subject: more disk/controller blues?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael J. Way <mway@newton.umsl.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/21/1996 21:56:31
Hi all,
	Well I thought I would keep you up to date on my problems.. ;-)
I have given up trying to get more than one rd53 disk working on my controller.
Now I must mention that when my little Microvax II was running VMS a year
ago it had those 3 rd53s running as dua0, dua1 and dua2, so I don't think
it was a jumper problem. In any case this is where I am at now...
	I went ahead and removed 2 of the 3 rd53s and tried booting up with
just 1 rd53. edlabel works fine, copy program seems to work fine, then I get
to the fun part, booting off the miniroot, here is what happens (once again
this is my rd53 disk => dua0 => ra(0,0,0) ),
Nboot
: ra(0,0,1)gennetbsd
Unknown error: code 22
:

Has the name of the miniroot changed perchance???

So, let me continue my little saga... I have this ESDI controller and a couple
of disks... all part of a kit from AVIV we had working under VMS too. Disks
were called dub0 and dub1 and are XT-4380E and XT-8760E (Maxtor's).
Wrote label to the XT-4380E (since it is the only one I have enough disk info
for) using edlabel... no problem there. Used the copy program, and as for the
rd53 it initialized the disk and wrote 4096 blocks just fine. Then after
halting and rebooting of the tk-50 boot tape, I try loading the miniroot again,
I get the same error as for the rd53. The xt-4380 is dub0 in vax-speak, so
I tried,
Nboot
: ra(1,0,1)gennetbsd

Anybody got a clue to what is going on here?? Who thinks this is a controller
problem?? Who thinks that both disks are crap? What else might I be doing wrong?

Here is my partition table for the rd53,
a partition offset=0		size=20000
b partition offset=20000	size=25000
c partition offset=0		size=138672
d partition offset=45000	size=15884
e partition offset=60884	size=15884
f partition offset=76768	size=61904
g partition offset=0		size=0
h partition offset=0		size=0

Here is the partition for my xt4380E (dub0)
a partition offset=0		size=40000
b partition offset=40000	size=40000
c partition offset=0		size=660937
d partition offset=80000	size=40000
e partition offset=120000	size=40000
f partition offset=160000	size=500900
g partition offset=0		size=0
h partition offset=0		size=0

I have seen error code 21 in the port-vax listserve archive, but not error code
22 with a solution... and yes I do use 'b/3 mua0' when booting off the boot
tape.  I hope someone out there has an idea... Thanks for ANY help.
	cheers,
	mike
--
 Michael J. Way                     Department of Physics and Astronomy
 mway@newton.umsl.edu               University of Missouri-St.Louis