Subject: Re: controller blues
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Stig Venaas <venaas@nvg.unit.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/20/1996 12:25:27
> On Sun, 19 May 1996, Michael J. Way wrote:
>
> > right. In fact when I tried labeling one disk quite frequently I couldn't
> > partition dua0 differently from dua1. Whenever I tried it would change the
> > partition table on both. Okay, so I am digressing here. Sorry.
>
> Sounds like you might have an addressing problem. I'm no expert on the
> RQDX controllers and the RDxx disks, but I seem to recall some discussion
> on this list not too long ago about setting some jumpers on the disks to
> assure correct addressing.

Yes, there could be a problem with the drive selects perhaps. If you have
a BA123 cabinet and not the small BA23, you can set the drives to any DS
you like, but there must be a jumper there. The distribution board will
determine the drive number by it self, at least in the standard config.

If you have a BA23 cabinet, then no drives can have the same DS. With
2 drives, the first is DS3 and the second is DS4. I'm not sure how to
do it with 3 drives. Usually DS1 and 2 will be for floppy. According to
the RX33 manual (single floppy drive), it has DS0-3 (which probably is
the same as DS1-4), and it should be DS0 normally, but DS1 if there is a
3rd RD drive. I would guess that the 3rd disk drive should be DS1 then.

It may be that your distribution board or RQDX controller are configured
wrong. On the RQDX3, W1-W4 should be installed, and also W21-22. W21-W22
are not present on all versions. These are only for testing. The two
jumpers at W23 should connect pins 1-2 and 3-4. Else you may lose the
format on the drives. There are also LUN jumpers W12-W17 that should
not be installed.

It's nice to have a manual (:

Stig