Subject: controller blues
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael J. Way <mway@newton.umsl.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/19/1996 13:50:07
Hi all,
	I have been attempting to get NetBSD up and running on my Microvax II.
Has 8 Mb, 3 rd53 disks, a tk-50, and a DEQNA ethernet card....
Well it boots off the tk-50 NetBSD boot tape okay, runs edlabel okay and
then my problems (or lack thereof at this moment) begin. I have the
3 rd53 disks hooked up to one RQDX controller. So I assume the disks are
named dua0,dua1,and dua2 in vax-speak. So they are plugged into slots labled
RD0,RD1,and RD2 on the controller. Now, after I run edlabel and it asks me
"Label which disk?" I put in ra(0,0,0) which should be dua0, no? Then it
sits there and does nothing. I have also tried ra(0,1,0), which is dua1 but the
same thing happens.
	Okay, now a little more history. This is the second controller I have
tried. This started happening with the previous controller. BUT, when I first
started trying to install this 2 days ago edlable would actually work and
let me put lables on dua0 and dua1, but they didn't seem to get saved
right. In fact when I tried labeling one disk quite frequently I couldn't
partition dua0 differently from dua1. Whenever I tried it would change the
partition table on both. Okay, so I am digressing here. Sorry.
	In any case at present I cannot even get edlabel to recongize my disks.
The tk-50 seems to be working okay, but I have now booted off the bloody
thing something like 10+ times. Could I have lost some info on the tape?
Everything seems to go okay until I put in the ra(0,0,0) for the labeling.
Are there any boot prompt diagnostics I can try out to see if the controller
is functioning? If push came to shove I can *try* to get the thing booted
up from the remnants of our vaxcluster to see if VMS recognizes the disks.
Anyway, sorry for such a long e-mail. Hope someone has *some* ideas here.
	thanks,
	mike
--
 Michael J. Way                     Department of Physics and Astronomy
 mway@newton.umsl.edu               University of Missouri-St.Louis