Subject: Re: status of MOP protocol?
To: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
From: Mats O Jansson <maja@celsiustech.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/18/1996 10:50:49
On Fri, 17 May 1996, Matt Thomas wrote:

> > So what is the status of DEC's MOP boot protocol?  Is it yet another DEC
> > proprietary protocol?  I'd like to see a "mopd" in order to do some system
> > bootstrapping... but I don't have any docs/sources on the protocol. -- Ken
>
> ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/DECnet/PhaseIV/maintop30.txt
>
> There's a mop daemon implementation by Terry Kennedy <terry@spcvxa.spc.edu>
> at ftp://ftp.spc.edu/ but I don't know how good it is since I've never looked
> at it.

There is an implementation for NetBSD/OpenBSD. There has been support for
other operating systems but that code has been removed for legal reasons
(I need to rewrite some code). It should be able to load standard VAX, RSX,
PMAX and ALPHA images. I have used it for loading DSV100, DSV200, DSV250,
DSV300, some Xyplex Terminal Servers and a VS3100 with Xterminal software.

There is one known problem for the moment, it can't load my VS2000. I think
it's depending on a bad implementation of MOP in the boot rom of the VS2000,
all requests are sent in less that a second, all other implementation I've
seen sends requests with seconds apart. One solution might be to filter out
request comming to fast and just process the first. But it's not at top of
my list (and hasn't been for a long time).

The source could be found at ftp://ftp.stacken.kth.se/pub/OS/NetBSD/mopd.

> --
> Matt Thomas               Internet:   matt@3am-software.com
> 3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
> Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message

-moj

Mats O Jansson, CelsiusTech Systems, Jaerfaella, Sweden
email: maja@celsiustech.se (or moj@stacken.kth.se)