Subject: Re: MicroVAX 3300
To: None <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/17/1996 15:30:08
In  <199605170914.LAA01411@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de> , you wrote:

> Gunnar Helliesen writes:
> > I have such a beast myself. The CPU will run NetBSD, you can even load it
> > from the TK70, but:
> >
> >  - No support for your disks (DSSI on integrated controller on the CPU)
> >  - No support for your ethernet (also integrated controller on the CPU)
>
> Just for interest, from looking at the VMS definitions for io-addresses
> of the KA640 board, it seems that the ethernet controller is a LANCE
> controller (NIRDP/NIRAP). Can you confirm this?

The KA640 uses the exact same bizarre setup for the LANCE as the DS3100
does.  So if you can get DS3100 LANCE support from pmax port, it should
work on the KA640.

The setup is as follows: there's 128KB of address space in which 64KB
of shared RAM lives (which is accessable by the LANCE).  The host this
memory as 32K longwords of which only the low word contains data.  The
LANCE just sees 32K words of data.

> If this is true, than it should be relatively easy to add support for this
> controller/cpu combination.
>
> Ciao,
> 	bertram

3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message