Subject: Re: MicroVAX 3300
To: Erik Manders <erik@il.ft.hse.nl>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/15/1996 12:53:11
On May 15, you wrote:
> Hello,
>    Does anyone have any idea whether a MicroVAX 3300 will (or won't) run
> NetBSD/VAX?  We received one today, and would like to know what runs on
> it. We would prefer not to have to run VMS.
>
> The machine's contents are:
>    TK70 tape drive
>    RF30 Harddrives (2)
>    M7624 KA640 mainboard
>    M7621 8Mb memory board
>    M7559 TQK70 TK70 controller

  I have two systems nearly identical to this.  NetBSD does not
currently support the DSSI or ethernet interfaces on the CPU board, so
you won't be able to use the RF30 drives.  The TK70/TQK70 will work
fine.  Put an MSCP disk controller and a DEQNA or DELQA ethernet board
in the system and you'll have a fine NetBSD/vax system.

> We haven't turned the machine on yet because we don't have a spare console
> cable for it yet. We might have to make one. Has anyone else done this? if
> so, what is the diagram for such a cable?

  This is in the FAQ, I think.
  Take a look at http://www.bitcon.no/~gunnar/vaxbsd/FAQ.html

            -Dave