Subject: Re: RQDX3 jumpers
To: bketcham <bketcham@anvilite.murkworks.seattle.wa.us>
From: Ken Wellsch <kcwellsc@math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/01/1996 12:33:22
The RQDX3 does have such a jumper requirement - alas I cannot confirm
the precise requirements as my documentation is far too well packed.

There are four header pins in the upper left corner as I recall (I think
W23 jumpers the middle pair) but the bottom line behind the jumper
arrangement has to do with sending the fourth head select signal (binary
coding) needed with the 15 heads on an RD54 (i.e. four head select lines
rather than three that smaller drives with <= 8 heads use).

I also recall the same piece of paper claiming a minimum rev level on
the controller EPROMs was necessary for "proper" operation.  I vaguely
recall the values as in the mid to high 200's as well as the newer 3xx
range.  (I'm sure there are even higher rev's out there)