Subject: Re: Bad Blocks
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Tom I Helbekkmo <tih@Hamartun.Priv.NO>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/25/1996 20:57:48
On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Anders Magnusson wrote:

| There are no working bad block replacement system on MSCP disks,
| and I have no idea about how it should work (I have no docs on
| the MSCP protocol). What should work anyway is the program badsect;
| which creates a file of the bad blocks mentioned. Try that.

As a temporary solution, maybe.  However, bad blocks are not supposed
to be an issue with MSCP disks; the controller is supposed to hide
such evil from the rest of the system.  This even holds for RX50
floppies, actually.  :-)  The Right Thing when an MSCP disk shows up
bad spots would be to use badsect(8) to trap them until a reformat can
be performed.  (I don't believe MSCP controllers can dynamically remap
bad blocks, in general.)

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo