Subject: FW: Bad Blocks
To: 'port-vax@NetBSD.ORG' <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Clingman, Bryan <bac@realtimeweb.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/23/1996 17:06:59
After some further experimentation, I have determined that when a disk =
read error occurs that cannot be corrected with an ecc, something =
(either MSCP, the disk controller or BSD) marks it as bad and does not =
allow anymore writes to the sector.  Anyway, to work around the problem, =
I filled up the disk with a large number of small files and then read =
each file (cat x > /dev/null) and this seemed to mark most of them as =
bad.. Interestingly, the format program on the disk controller (a Dilog =
DQ696) does not catch these sectors, It does catch and redirect other =
errors.  I think the disk might be going bad 1 sector at a time...

  --bryan