Subject: It lives!!!
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jim Bender <jbender@bdsnet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/15/1996 00:38:57
OK, I know have NetBSD 1.1A up and running on the microvax...  :-)

You can add to the list of controllers that DO work the Sigma/Webster
RQD11-EC...   No problems so far.   (reaching for wood to knock on...)

No joy with the Emulex QD21 or the Emulex DM02.  Both cause the miniroot
to die in the same place (when it is getting the disk name).

I used virtually the same edlabel parameters and partition layout as with
the emulex controllers.   Used the same disk that was tried on the emulexes,
just reformatted it with the sigma card and off we went!

I notice some response from folks using the Emulex products successfully.
Anyone have any ideas on why _MY_ emulex cards fail?  I do not know if
they are the latest rev cards, but they are fairly high rev if that would
have anything to do with it...

Anyway, now that we are operational, I have a minor "clueless newbie"
type question to ask:  How do I get it to let me telnet into it as
root?  I can telnet in as a "normal" user, but it won't let me su...
My Suns don't complain in this manner (they just complain about everything
else  :-) )...   any ideas???   I'm sure it is something simple but
my brain is so frazzled from the grueling NetBSD installation that I'm
probably just overlooking it...

Thanks!
Jim Bender
jbender@bdsnet.com