Subject: Installing a new kernel
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin McQuiggin <mcquiggi@sfu.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/07/1996 14:34:55
Thanks to Ragge and others for supplying me with the missing
in_cksum.c file. I was able to compile a new kernel with no problems.

Now I'm having a kernel install problem.

I mv-ed /netbsd to /netbsd.orig, then said cp netbsd /netbsd to move
the new kernel to the root directory. I then rebooted.

At the point where the msgs should have said "changing root device to
ra0a", I got the following trap:

Trap, type 2   code 0 PC 8008FAF9 PSL 8

and a register dump. I was kicked to db>.

The only changes I made to GENERIC were to add an additional swap
partition, and change "options GENERIC" to options MY-KERNEL-NAME, as
I couldn't get a clean compile by just copying GENERIC, changing swap
and running make depend/make.

I have FreeBSD and under that OS this method seems to work to install
a new kernel.

I must be missing a step/steps. That's my question!

I've checked some FAQs, perhaps I have to recompile several other
progs as well that interact with the new kernel???

Thanks,

Kevin

--
Kevin McQuiggin VE7ZD