Subject: question on lance controller
To: None <rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@gummo.bbb.sub.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/05/1996 13:46:00
The ethernet controller on my VS2000 seems to be bad and I've no idea
how dead it is. I don't even know where to look for the problem and how
to interpret the symptoms:

Almost always the selftest of the NI module fails:
	KA410-B V2.2

	F...E...D...C...B...A...9...8...7...6...5...4...3_..2_..1?..

	??  1  00C0  0000.7008

	>>> test 1

	1?..
	 84 FAIL

When I use "moptrace -d" on another machine to monitor MOP packets and
issue "B ESA0" on the VS2000, most of the time I see nothing, on rare
occasions a single packet gets displayed.

Almost always ifconfig complains: "le0: lost carrier"

Now for the symptom I don't understand at all: When I try to ping the
machine, sometimes it works ok for 3 or 4 packets, usually it fails
completely. But the (at least for me) surprising thing is that the
VS2000 seems to receive most of these packets, since obviously
interrupts are generated and the VS2000 displays "le0: lost carrier".
Thus I'm quite sure that it's not a problem of cabling or T-connectors.

Does this problem sound familiar?
Is there a way to repair it?
Is there a way to implement a workaround into the lance driver?

Or is this the end of the game?

Ciao,
	bertram

PS: I don't know if this is of any interest, but I've appended the
    VS2000's output from such a ping session:
# <3>le0: device timeout
le0: device timeout
le0: lost carrier
le0: lost carrier