Subject: Re: DHV11 not detected by 1.1A
To: Ken Wellsch <kcwellsc@math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Kevin McQuiggin <mcquiggi@sfu.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/01/1996 11:30:09
Hi Ken:

Thanks for the reply!

> I believe the above is inverted.  The default settings are
>
> 	00001001 00011000	160440 300
>
> while your current settings appear to be
>
> 	00001010 00011001	160500 310

This was the case. I was counting the "open" writing on the switch block
as a 0. Maybe they put the blocks in upside down.

In any case, I switched the board to the default setting of 160440, and
on boot the board DID get detected. dhu0 dhv etc.

Thanks for your help.

Now I have to figure out why the board had been installed at that
address. All the stuff in the machine is stock except for an Emulex QD21
controller. All seems to work fine so far. I will let it run for awhile
and see how it goes before switching the board back.

To test the dhu0 ports, I then went to /dev and did a MAKEDEV dhu0. This
created new devices ttyS0 through ttySf.

I then went to /etc/ttys, changed tty00 to ttyS0, and turned the port
"on". I rebooted the system (suppose I could have just done a "kill 1
-HUP) and noted that a getty process started on ttyS0.

Am I on the right track???

I lack an appropriate cable (Female/Female null modem) and so will test
this to see if I get a login prompt on the port.

In the meantime I will endeavour to compile a custom kernel using the
board's original address, just in case there was some conflict that
caused DEC to set it that way in the first place...

As an aside, when I go to /usr/src/sys/arch/vax/conf, modify GENERIC, and
do a "config" I get about 30 "syntax errors" from the file
"../../../conf/vax/files". As I'm not a "config" expert, can you tell me
what's wrong?

I would be interested in finding out the encoding of the switches on the
M3104/DHV board as well.

Thanks for the help,

Kevin

--