Subject: Re: Converting 3-pahse VAX Power.
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG, cjn@isd.se>
From: Johnny Billquist konsult <qmwjyb@emw.ericsson.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/29/1996 13:37:20
> The 86x0 require huge amounts of electricity, 30 A a phase if I
> recall myself right (The powerconnector on my machine is about 3.5cm
> in diameter that would be about 1.3") And changing the fans would be
> a horrible project since they are kind of mounted in the bottom of
> the machine, wich means that you have to strip it all down (You dont
> turn a 86x0 upside down... ;-)
>  But i guess thats all hypothetical since anybody with enough
> airconditioned space to house probably got a three phase connector
> aswell (or can afford to install one)..

Either you have been playing with something other than an 86x0,
or the 86x0 you played with was very different from all I've seen.

I've run an 8650 on 3x16A, worked just fine. My guess is that it draws
around 8-10A/phase.

And the fans (two of them) are mounted more or less at the top,
on the back side. Huge monsters that virtually blow things away.

	Johnny