Subject: Re: non important question.
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/27/1996 12:47:57
On March 27, you wrote:
> Er, but Dave, there's also such a beast as the uVAX II Q5. Although not
> as large as a 11/780, it's a hell of a lot bigger than a Q3.
>
> The Q5 was mounted in a rack (sideways) and usually had a 9-track tape on
> top (TU-??) and one or two RA81s at the bottom. AFAIK it was also
> available with a 380V 3-phase power-supply. Definitely computer-room
> material, whereas the Q3 was made for normal "office" environments.

  Ahh, too true...but in my mind, I normally lump all ba23 machines
together size-wise.  It's a tiny box (my scarred knuckles say so)
whether you put it in a rack or not.

  In my home machine room, my "big" vax is a MicroVAX-III (ka640) in a
ba23 mounted in the middle of a pdp11 rack.  Above it is a sun3/80 on
a shelf, then a cisco2501 router, then a csu/dsu for my 56k line, then
an AUI fanout.  There's an UPS in the bottom of the rack with a vt240
on top of it.  I'm not too big on "standard" configurations. ;)

                      -Dave