Subject: Re: non important question.
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
From: Rolf Larsson <rln@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/27/1996 08:06:24
/* Previous version by: Dave McGuire */
//
//  On March 26, you wrote:
//    No offense...but I had to laugh out loud when I read this.  I'll try
//  to find some pictures to put up on my web server...but a MicroVAX II
//  is one of the smallest VAXen ever built.  A VAX-11/780, for example,
//  is over five feet high, about five feet wide, and about three feet
//  deep.  But that's a very old machine.

Here is one of the old FTP server at Ludd, a VAX 11/780 with 12 Gb of disk.
This machine is still a vax, but now a VAX 8800 with 26 Gb of RA90's.

http://lobo.dc.luth.se/Images/computers/olivaw.gif
or, for a picture half the size, look at
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/vax/picture.html

At http://lobo.dc.luth.se/Images/computers/8650.gif there is a picture of
a little cute machine: a VAX 8650 with disk, cluster and VT100 (I think).
//
//    A VAX8978 is a better example of more recent, *large* technology.
//  It is a cluster built from eight 8700 processors and four SA800 disk
//  arrays.  That VAX will very easily fill a large room.  An incredibly
//  powerful machine, too.
//
Does anyone have pictures of different VAX Machines? I have this fetisch,
you know... :-)

- Rolf
"Old VAXen never die, they just move north!"