Subject: Re: MicroVAX I
To: Johnny Billquist konsult <qmwjyb@emw.ericsson.se>
From: Jeremy C. McDermond <mcdermj@OG.ORG>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/25/1996 10:58:30
In message <9603251408.AA02879@genesis.mo.emw.ericsson.se>, Johnny Billquist ko
nsult writes:
>> I would also be concerned about available memory.  The few uVAX-I's I've
>> seen use 512Kb memory boards (the same used for PDP-11s) and NetBSD does
>> want a fair hunk of memory to run in.  Hopefully your systems are using
>> larger memory boards or you'll need to stuff a lot of slots 8-)
>
>Form what I remember, the max memory in a MVI is only <4Mb, since
>it, as you said, stuff normal pdp-11 memory in there, and the
>address limit of the Q-bus is 4Mb, and this memory is directly
>on the Q-bus.
>(The reason for "<4Mb" is that you need the I/O-page too...)
>
>	Johnny

I could be wrong, but from my limited VAX memory, DEC severely lobotomized
the ROMs on the MVI -- and made up for it by implimenting the functionality in
"MicroVMS" -- This was the reason given to me for why Ultrix 4.3 won't run on
the MVI -- but will run on an MVII.  Again, I could be mistaken.

Jeremy C. McDermond					mcdermj@xenotropic.com
Xenotropic Imaging Systems