Subject: Re: uVAX II Q-bus hardware (KZQSA)
To: None <PORT-VAX@NetBSD.ORG, paul@vix.com>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.UCSD.EDU>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/20/1996 15:38:40
> Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 13:23:47 -0800
> From: Paul A Vixie <paul@vix.com>
>
> > > Which Q-BUS SCSI cards are supported?  Is the KZQSA supported?  If not
> > > any work being done to support it?  Any help need?
> >
> > If KZQSA is made in the same manner as KFQSA (a MSCP-emulating
> > DSSI controller) then it should work. I haven't tried either
> > of them.
>
> The KZQSA doesn't do MSCP emulation, it's a pure SCSI animal.  DEC does not
> support it except on the 5400 and 5500 (MIPSco processors), last I checked.

I read the following from the DECdirect on-line catalog:

In the OpenVMS SPD, v6.2 for VAX:

     KZQSA         Q-bus to SCSI bus adapter. This adapter allows up to
                   7 SCSI storage devices to attach to the SCSI bus.

(Implication is that it works on all Qbus Vaxen).

In the Ultrix SPD, v4.5, it's harder to tell.  KZQSAs are supported as data
devices, not boot devices on DECsystem 5500.  That's about the only mention
of the KZQSA in that document.

I would be astonished if the KZQSA didn't work on arbitrary Q22-bus CPUs,
including PDP-11/73's, which of course won't run NetBSD.

    carl
        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein@ucsd.edu