Subject: Having trouble with my 11/750 and TU58
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Andre Skarzynski <andre@capes1.vector.co.za>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/18/1996 08:20:10
Hi,

Thanks  Anders, I can now try and install on my VAX 11/750 using the tu58 tapes.
Unfortantly, I have had some trouble. Here is a description of what I
did.

Using VMS, I copied the boottape to a TU58 tape using the the following:

MOUNT/FORIEGN CSA1:  (remember to do SYSGEN> CONNECT CONSOLE )

COPY BOOTTAPE.; CSA1:

DISMOUNT CSA1:

Then halt the VAX, and insert the TU58 and proceed to boot. I then get...

>>> B/3 DDA0
%%

howto 0x3 bdev 0x40, booting...
getdisklabel: no disk lable
/                              <--- the spinner spins and the tape runs...
Boot failed. errno 2 (No such file or directory)

001001FA

Oh dear, I reckon this was maybe a bad tape, so I boot VMS and get a new tape
and, and this time I INITIALIZE the tape to make sure before copying it. This
time the following happens.

>>> B/3 DDA0
%%

howto 0x3 bdev 0x40, booting...
getdisklabel: no disk lable
-                            <--- spinner stops in the postion.

Great, it ran for a little longer, then stoped, and nothing happens. The CPU
status lights shine correctly, the RUN light is on etc... What happens now. I
waited, pushed keys, and no go. Obviousily something is workin as it does not
crash, but maybe it is hanging? I have tried with my CPU accelarator disabled.

I use 19200 for the console under VMS, could this be wrong for NetBSD? I hope
so. I only thought of it now, so I have not tried that yet.

All the best.

Regards,

Andre