Subject: Problems with disklabels
To: Vax-Port <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Holger B. Austinat <hba1@cec.wustl.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/16/1996 22:29:30
Our first uVAXII is running fine (and will soon be upgraded to 1.1).  But
we've got problems bringing up the second VAX (also a uVAXII).

To be absolutely sure it was a problem with the second machine (the disk
controller?) and not with the harddisk, we used the first VAX and
installed the gennetbsd kernel on the swap-partition of an RD53 from tape.
It was no problem booting the kernel on the harddisk on this VAX.

But when we move the drive to the second machine, boot from tape to get
to the prompt and try to boot the kernel from the harddisk (using
'ra(0,1)gennetbsd'), we get the following error message:

  getdisklabel: no disk label
  Unknown error: code 12

Also, it seems to be impossible to read or write the disklabel using
'edlabel' on the second VAX.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks

  Holger & Rob

      | HOLGER AUSTINAT              phone: (314) 935-1200 |
      |                          e-mail: hba1@cs.wustl.edu |
           i'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!