Subject: Amazing!
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Roger Ivie <IVIE@cc.usu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/16/1996 18:08:00
After much weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, I have finally managed to
build a kernel. Here's what I did:

- Grabbed fresher sources from ftp.netbsd.org. The file I grabbed was dated
  March 10.
- Grabbed the sources to make from ftp.netbsd.org, built and installed it.
- Added set MACHINE_ARCH=vax to my .cshrc
- Added -fno-builtin to the makefile created by config
- Commented out a few references to DW780 not protected by #ifdef DW780 or
  somesuch. Since I don't have a /780, I had commented out the /780 line in
  the config file.
- Waited all day long...

My machine does have a DHV11 in it, but the new kernel doesn't detect it
at boot. Of course, I haven't the foggiest idea what address it's jumpered
for. I also don't have a cabinet kit, so I don't have any way to hook cables
to the bloody thing.

Roger Ivie
ivie@cc.usu.edu