Subject: Re: Halt on 'A'
To: None <kpneal@unity.ncsu.edu>
From: Matthew N. Dodd <winter@jurai.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/06/1996 09:28:48
On Wed, 6 Mar 1996 kpneal@unity.ncsu.edu wrote:
> My freshly pulled from the dumpster VAXstation II/RC is complaining.
> I hooked up a VT220 to it and cut it on to see what I could see.
> The led in the back starts on F when I cut it on, then goes down to
> 'A' and freezes there.
> I did get my hands on an old service manual, and it says that 'A'
> means (among other things) that the machine is looking for the
> keyboard and monitor. The machine does have a keyboard and monitor
> connections on the back.

If I recall, the VAXstations had a switch on the back that would
turn them into MicroVAXs.  (Turn off the kbd and frame buffer, and enable
a console on the serial port)

Check this out.

> Any way around this? Or do I have to buy a monitor and keyboard?
> Which monitor and keyboards will work? Perhaps a ds2100 keyboard
> with adaptor? Sigh.

Nope, they can all use LK201s I believe.  Various boxes need adaptors
to split out the console port (VS2000 I just got comes to mind)

Good luck!

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|