Subject: Re: vs2000 console
To: None <rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/26/1996 17:23:06
rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca writes:
> There is nothing in the tech manual w.r.t. console support, except that the
> processor special registers are dummies that do nothing (as you already
> discovered:-).
>
> Is there any vmb routines for doing console I/O? (If not, I think we are
> stuck talking to the bitmap display or serial chip ourselves.) In the latter

With the help of Roger Ivie I have now bootblocks/boot which talk to
the DZ-chip directly to produce output to the serial console and use
VMB-routines to read from boot-device (ie. floppy).
But in order to make edlabel/copy write to the disk, it seems that a
real driver for the disk/floppy/tape controller is neccessary.

> case, avoiding doing I/O from boot would be the simple solution, for now:-)

Having working I/O-routines makes debugging much easier. :-)

Ciao,
	bertram

PS: Anybody having machine-readable documention on the VS2000's
    disk/floppy/tape controller?
    Anybody (preferred Germany/Europe) having a technical manual
    for VS2000 which I could borrow for some weeks?