Subject: VS2000 console output (mtpr $PR_TXDB doesn't work)
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/18/1996 13:03:36
It seems like the VS2000 doesn't support console-output via MTPR to $PR_TXDB.

On a uVAX-II I can do console output by writing to internal register 0x23

        >>> dep/i 23 41

and I get an 'A' written to the console

        A>> dep/i 23 41

when doing the same on VS2000 I get

        >>> dep/i 23 41

no difference if I'm using graphic- or serial console.

What's the correct procedure to write to the VS2000 console?
How to read characters from the VS2000 console?

Ciao,
        bertram

PS: Also it seems that $PR_TXCS is implemented as a dummy-register which
    always returns 0 (zero) when read. This causes putchar(c) [consio.c]
    to hang in an endless loop when waiting for xmit to become ready.
    After inserting a timeout in putchar(c), bootblocks seem to work (at
    least a little bit :-) and reach the (relocated!) HALT-instruction
    after main() has returned.