Subject: Re: another help request - building system
To: Robert Smith <rmsmith@csc.com>
From: John C. Hayward <johnh@david.wheaton.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/04/1996 14:40:52
On Sat, 3 Feb 1996, Robert Smith wrote:

> Hello again folks,
> I have booted and edlabeled and copied and miniroot booted both
> RD53 and 54 systems.
> Now I am stuck.
> I go thru and due the newfs for ra0a thru ra0e, I do a makedev
If partitions are over layed you do not want to do this.  Frequently
partition c is the whole disk while a is a small root partition and
b is a swap partition.  If you put a fs on a you will not want to
put one on c also.
> for each (I think that is what I am supposed to do), I try
> to do a disklabel -B ra0a (or /dev/ra0a, /dev/rra0a) and get
> Illegal Instruction as a response.
> I try to cp gennetbsd or boot to ra0a and get
> ra0a is a readonly filesystem.
You might try to do a disklabel on partition C if that references the whole
disk.  This works frequently when you have overlapping partitions and
one of the partitions is mounted.

Hope this helps.
johnh...