Subject: VAX 8200
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <arthur_dave@mailserv.burridge.nscc.ns.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/17/1996 20:15:32
OK so I'm going to do it again......

This is a media related question.... xfer of Ultrix from TK50 tapes
to a VAX 8200. I;m going to assume that the VAX port will be
available some day for the 8200 and I'm sure this distribution
question will come up...

I have a uVAXIII with Ultrix on it. ( Could be netBSD ! ). I have the
distribution on TK50 tapes.

I have an 8200 with a dual floppy  and RA81 drives. It has a rather
large tape drive too TU81 ? and of course an ethernet port.  It
has a UNIBUS cabinet attached that will accept 'old' stlye boards !

I tried putting the Qbus tape controller in the 8200 UNIBUS and it
failed ... Yep it IS incompatible

What are my options ? Can I boot the 8200 from the uVAXIII ? How
would or rather should I do this ?

I'm thinking if I could get a mini system up and running on the 8200
it would be good, If I installed on of these dual floppy units on the
uVAX could I make a bootable floppy for the 8200?

The 8200 hardware works fine.

Would it be possible to hookup the RA81's to the uVAX ? I could copy
the software and then boot up on the 8200....

ANY ideas would be appreciated.....