Subject: coming -current from binary snapshot
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/13/1996 12:04:59
Dave McGuire writes:
> Folks,
>   Hey, me again.  I'm running (mostly) with the last binary snapshot,
> and would like to upgrade to -current.  I'm not sure what order to do
> this in, however.  Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Get and install the sources of NetBSD-current, setenv DESTDIR to a
directory with enough space to hold usr/include and usr/lib, cd to
/usr/src (or wherever you installed NetBSD-current into) and there
type 'make build' or 'make -i build' (I prefer the second one and
pipe/tee the output into a log-file). Depending on your machine
and on the problems which arise during this build wait some time
(on my uVAX-II it takes some 5 to 10 days :) until the build gets
finished.
Meanwhile you should configure and compile a new kernel and copy
the new kernel into your root-directory.
If the build is finished without major problems, then setenv DESTDIR
to an empty string, type 'make -i install' to install the new files
and reboot your machine with your new kernel.

At least that's what I do ...

Ciao,
	bertram

PS: you'll need ~100MB to hold NetBSD-current tree including the
    compiled files and libraries.