Subject: Death notice: MicroVAX II
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Sturges <jonathan@cc.odu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/03/1995 15:24:10
It is with great sorrow that I announce the death of my MicroVAX II.

I turned it on today for the first time in awhile, and it literally
smoked!  Further investigation found that what appears to be a bypass
capacitor on the CPU board melted.  It's the little brown rectangular
thing nearest to the 32.768 kHz oscillator on the (left?) rear corner of the
board.  It even melted itself into the one immediately next to it.

Anyway, no other boards seem to be damaged.

Has anyone had this happen to them before?  If it's something I can fix,
I might give it a shot (although working on multilayer PCBs is not
something I'm good at).

I guess I won't be running NetBSD/VAX after all... sniffle... :-(

-Jonathan