Subject: Re: Serial ports...
To: Carl Harris <ceharris@mal.com>
From: Gene Buckle <u-gwb@nta.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/29/1995 08:12:50
> Preliminary work on the DHV driver itself is progressing nicely.  The
> technical reference for the DHV11 and the DHQ11 arrived via postal mail
> about two weeks ago (thanks to an old friend that happened to remember
> she had copies of each in an abandoned file cabinet in her shop).

That was my next offer.  I think I've got three or four copies of the
DHV11 tech. manual...

> I eventually hope to make a driver which supports the DHV, DHQ, CXA,
> CXB, and CXY devices.  For the short term the DHV and DHQ will be
> supported.  I've been writing some code (under VMS) to test my understanding
> of various aspects of the programming technique for this device.  So far,
> that has been going along quite smoothly.

Is there a way to make the DHV11 use a dma mode instead of interrupting
the processor every time a character shows up?  (I've also heard that
damn board would interrupt on *outgoing* as well, but I haven't found
evidence of this in the manual.)

> At the moment, the major hold up is that I cannot build a kernel on my
> NetBSD/vax system.  I'm not even sure I have the "right" set of kernel
> sources.  I grabbed the NetBSD-current/src/sys tree, and (after some
> futzing around with the Makefile, managed to get make depend to complete).
> I then tried 'make vmunix', but it fails on the machdep.c file (due to
> *many* parse errors in the syscallargs.h file).  Perhaps Ragge can
> offer a tip here?

I take it you can't generate the driver as a loadable module?

g.