Subject: Re: Serial ports...
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Carl Harris <ceharris@mal.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/28/1995 19:33:24
> Could anyone point me to where I could find out the status of the serial
> port drivers for NetBSD?  Specifically, I'm wondering how work is
> progressing on the DHV driver.  I've got a whole herd of vaxen just
> waiting for that driver. ;)

Preliminary work on the DHV driver itself is progressing nicely.  The
technical reference for the DHV11 and the DHQ11 arrived via postal mail
about two weeks ago (thanks to an old friend that happened to remember
she had copies of each in an abandoned file cabinet in her shop).

I eventually hope to make a driver which supports the DHV, DHQ, CXA,
CXB, and CXY devices.  For the short term the DHV and DHQ will be
supported.  I've been writing some code (under VMS) to test my understanding
of various aspects of the programming technique for this device.  So far,
that has been going along quite smoothly.

At the moment, the major hold up is that I cannot build a kernel on my
NetBSD/vax system.  I'm not even sure I have the "right" set of kernel
sources.  I grabbed the NetBSD-current/src/sys tree, and (after some
futzing around with the Makefile, managed to get make depend to complete).
I then tried 'make vmunix', but it fails on the machdep.c file (due to
*many* parse errors in the syscallargs.h file).  Perhaps Ragge can
offer a tip here?

--Carl