Subject: SUMMARY: Can VAXstation 3100 run UNIX?
To: None <decstation-managers@ornl.gov, port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Russell A. Fink <rfink@supernova.aerosys.loral.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/1995 14:14:15
Thanks for the answers to my original question on whether you can run
UNIX on a VAXstation 3100, and what, if any, UNICes were supported.  I
posted this message to decstation-managers@ornl.gov, and later to
port-vax@netbsd.org once I learned that netBSD has been ported to some
VAXen.

Basically, the overwhelming majority of the answers I got said "run
Ultrix." The only problem with this is that DEC has apparently stopped
supporting Ultrix (just like Berkeley has stopped officially supporting
BSD), and there is question of whether I can still buy Ultrix
(recommended version = 4.4) from DEC or not; regardless of whether they
still sell it, they won't support it via software maintenance in any
case.  Ok, so I may be able to buy some TK-50 tapes from a netizen
somewhere via misc.forsale.computers or some variant, so that is at
least one option.

There is a netBSD group out there porting to VAXen, but so far only to
specific models: the MicroVAX II and 11/750.  The MicroVAX III is next
on the agenda, and from one response, I gathered that additional VAXen
were not out of the picture, just not currently planned.  The mailing
list for that stuff is port-vax@netbsd.org.  They have a webpage that
you must visit, to see the introductory picture (it is a stitch,
especially for anyone who knows or has been to the D.C. Phillipeans
memorial):  http://www.netbsd.org.  BTW, their page is better than the
Linux page.  IMHO.

As for Linux or OSF/1, no luck.  Linux is being ported to the Alpha and
Suns, but the main focus of that package is porting to PC-based
platforms, mainly because everyone in the free world has a PC and it is
a popular platform.  People who own VAXen are considered outcasts of
society, or something, so cutting-edge stuff isn't being done there.  I
bet Hester Prynne (sp?) had a VAX.

So, thanks to many many people for all the replies, and to the Internet
Collective (coming soon to assimilate YOU!), for the information.  I
will start chasing down some Ultrix information, probably from news and
misc forsale boards.  I'd probably be better off trying to pick up a
low-cost DECstation 5000 or something.

Thanks,
Russ
     <  Russ Fink                    <       <  Globalstar --          <
      > rfink@DS01.aerosys.loral.com  >       > Cellular Communications >
     /  Loral Aerosys                /       /  for the 21st Century   /
     \  Seabrook, MD USA             \       \  Global Village         \