Subject: Re: DHV11 driver
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Carl Harris <ceharris@mal.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/26/1995 18:31:46
> You cannot have any reference to source code provided by DEC, it
> would be very illegal. You shouldn't have any tainted code in mind
> when writing device drivers for NetBSD. The best you can do is to
> get "DHU11 Users Guide" from DEC and then look at some other
> NetBSD driver (Ex. the i386 com driver) to understand what's
> nedded. But don't go near any copyrighted code.

I didn't mean to imply that I would actually use DEC's code.  I am
well aware of US copyright law.  Looking at DEC's driver, it could be
improved quite a bit, anyway -- it suffers from "long revision history
syndrome."

I now have a copy of the DHU11/DHV11 technical reference (as well as the
guide for DHQ11, which is also quite similar).  My intention is to write
a driver that will work for all three of these interfaces, from the
bottom up, and refer to the DEC's code only when something doesn't work
in my finished product (as a guide to potential pitfalls).

--Carl