Subject: Problem with writing bootblock
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Holger B. Austinat <hba1@cec.wustl.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/22/1995 15:46:31
Last night we installed the miniroot on a MicroVaxII on an RD54 drive in
the swap partition (ra0b).  We then wanted to create the bootblock on the
first partition (ra0a), but got the following error:

  #disklabel -B ra0a
  disklabel: /usr/mdec/aboot: No such file or directory

We also tried to specify the file '/boot' as a boot file:

  #disklabel -B -b boot ra0a
  disklabel: Bootstrap doesn't leave room for disk label

We can create file systems on the other partitions using newfs.  We
mounted /dev/ra0e on /usr/mdec/ and copied /boot to it (renaming it to
aboot).  But we still get the second error message (Bootstrap ...).

Does anyone know what we have to do to get the bootblock installed?

Thanks in advance

  Holger

         *** newly excited user of NetBSD on a uVAXII ***
       | HOLGER AUSTINAT              phone: (314) 935-1200 |
       |                         e-mail: hba1@cec.wustl.edu |
             *** proud member of the CEC shit list ***