Subject: MFM Hard Drives
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Arthur <ARTHUR_DAVE@burridge.nscc.ns.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/16/1995 17:26:34
This may not be germane to the purpose of this list..... if not my
apologies... This is the higheset concentration of VAX historians I
could find :-)

I have a uVAX 3200GPX. It has a 100mb+/- set up as RD54. I believe I
need software to do a low level format.

I have heard rumours that the ID for the drive is placed there during
the low level procedure, and then th op-sys recognizes the geometry
from that code.

I have a 70 mb MFM that I would like to use.. apparently there is a
drive in that range that we could emulate.... but again I don't have
the software to do the format.

Question

1. Would anyone care to low level format this beast for me.
2. Does anyone know where I can aquire software to do it myself.

Many thanks

* Dave Arthur                        *
* Business Instructor                *
* NSCC Burridge Campus               *