Subject: Problems With Compiling 'C' Programs...
To: None <PORT-VAX@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/12/1995 11:28:50
> Until I try to compile something.  Example, I tried to compile "kermit 1.90"
> and keep getting "conflicting types for funtion 'mem'" for the "string.h"
> file.  It compiled file and seem to run, but when I tried to compile
> "emacs-19.29" it crashed when I got that message.

The message you're getting is harmless. It's due to a prototype-mismatch
for two functions in string.h where gcc-2.7.0 has builtin prototypes
using int and NetBSD uses long (or something similiar to that).
Since for the VAX both of these types are the same, there's no prob.

The problem with emacs is in the unexec() routine, where all NetBSD
variants are expected to have shared libraries. Since NetBSD/VAX
doesn't support shared libraries (yet), you need to fix the source
for unexec(). I don't have the sources handy, it's something related
to _DYNAMIC(sp?)

Ciao,
	bertram

PS: If you're interested in a emacs-binary only, there's one somewhere
    on our ftp-server ifib17.ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de, mail me for details.